2018 WiCi Awards
On Tuesday, October 23rd, the achievements of five young leaders from the communications industry were honored at New York Women in Communications’ annual WiCi Awards. The event was held at Meredith Corporation and emceed by Julie Hochheiser Illkovich, past WiCi honoree, and Co-Founder, Managing Partner, and President of Editorial Operations at Masthead Media Company.
The WiCi Awards complement NYWICI’s prestigious annual Matrix Awards ceremony, which honors women at the pinnacle of their communications careers. The WiCi Awards are presented to the female rising stars in the communications industry; have made significant contributions to her company and industry; are admired by peers and employees; embody the values of New York Women in Communications; and who are actively involved in the communications industry.
From left to right:
Lauren Skowronski – Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, NBCUniversal
Ashley Miles – Chief Client Officer, Head of Advertising, North America, Refinery29
Michelle Tan – Editorial Director, MAKERS
Jennifer Bender – Senior Manager of Strategy & Commercial Operations, Pfizer
Lisa Tobin – Executive Producer for Audio, The New York Times
Judith Harrison, President, New York Women in Communications and Senior Vice President, Diversity and Inclusion, Weber Shandwick
Julie Hochheiser Ilkovich, past WiCi honoree, and Co-Founder, Managing Partner, and President of Editorial Operations at Masthead Media CompanyAt the ceremony, each of the honorees shared their advice, offering insight to their success:
• “The number one reason women don’t get promotions – they don’t ask.” – Michelle Tan, Editorial Director, MAKERS
• “Show up as your most authentic self at work every single day. Create a vision of yourself and be that everywhere.” – Ashley Miles, Chief Client Officer, Head of Advertising, North America, Refinery29
• “It’s your responsibility to carve your own career path.” – Jennifer Bender, Senior Manager of Strategy & Commercial Operations, Pfizer
• “Our career paths are a marathon. Don’t worry about tomorrow or next year, you have a long time.” – Lauren Skowronski, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, NBCUniversal
• “Sometimes we forget… you are not aware of the power you have.” Lisa Tobin, Executive Producer for Audio, The New York Times
Past award recipients include Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin, Co-founders of theSkimm, Elaine Welteroth, Journalist and Editor; Leslie Pitterson, Vice President of Communications, U.S. Media, Nielsen; Tammy Tibbetts, CEO/Co-founder of She’s the First; Amy Odell, Journalist; Reshma Saujani, Founder and CEO of Girls Who Code; Mara Schiavocampo, Correspondent for ABC News; and Sara Haines, TV Host and Journalist, among others.
“We are proud to honor these remarkable women, whose talents and drive are making a lasting impact on the communications business,” said Judith Harrison, President, New York Women in Communications and Senior Vice President, Diversity and Inclusion, Weber Shandwick. “We look forward to watching them continue to grow, lead and innovate in our ever-changing industry.”