A sure way to start the year off right is by polishing your professional presence. For help with getting started, about 40 NYWICI members and guests took that first step when they gathered for a NYWICI Night Out on Jan. 19, 2017, at Sarabeth’s Restaurant at Lord & Taylor.
Stacey Karesh, Lord & Taylor’s Special Events Marketing Manager, encouraged the audience to take advantage of the free styling salon on the third floor of the store that is “largely under the radar and caters to every budget.” Plus, she invited everyone to stop by for “Fashion Fix Fridays,” held between 5 pm and 6 pm each week, which offer tips to spice up weekend wardrobes.
Master Stylists Travis Hutchinson and Micah Feliciano wowed the crowd with a dynamic presentation highlighting affordable fashion trends for the year. Their recommended approach to creating a new look was very pragmatic: embellish what is already in your closet for a work-appropriate wardrobe that will project a polished image.
The presentation, featuring outfits by such designers as Michael Kors, Karl Lagerfeld and Black Halo, was replete with words of wisdom on being fashion forward throughout the year and beyond.
- Combine the right jacket, blouse and skirt to make a fashion statement. Try color blocking by choosing a dark skirt with a light-colored shirt, or the reverse approach.
- The “go-to” style for your new skirt is the pencil skirt.
- The blazer jacket is amazingly versatile: Mix and match by wearing it with flair-ups or skinny pants and other items in your closet.
- The color story for the spring season is blush and beige. You will see these business-savvy hues in everything, from pants to jackets.
- The sleeveless “little black dress” is equally striking in red. If you don’t want to display your arms, try wearing a blazer, cashmere sweater or even a turtleneck underneath the dress.
- Patent leather shoes can spark up any outfit.
An enthusiastic vibe was palpable as guests chatted after the fashion presentation. Blogger Mandy Carr declared, “I thought the looks were very sophisticated and great for going from day to night!” All the talk about fashion got Mandy thinking that she would have liked to "touch even more on accessorizing. When you have solid colors, necklaces are good and can really change up the look.”
Blanche LeBeau, Estee Lauder’s Lead Makeup Artist, North America, capped off the evening with some salient skincare pointers:
- The Estee Lauder “modern face” is all about skin that is well hydrated and protected.
- To scientifically identify the exact shade of foundation for your skin color, consider trying out the iMatch digital system in-store at Estee Lauder.
- Groom and enhance your brows for a more youthful look.
For Latina Beauty Blogger Clare Gaurin, the highlight of the evening was the iMatch. "The most interesting part was the intersection of modern technology and beauty demonstrated by that handheld device, no bigger than a cellphone.” Clare felt a professional connection with Blanche: “We share a similar philosophy when it comes to beauty: hydrated, well-protected skin is the most important step to looking your best with a look that lasts all day.”
Slideshow photos: Jan Goldstoff